KnowSmoke Tobacco Reduction Coalition
If You Really KnowSmoke, Then You Won’t Smoke.
KnowSmoke was created to reduce the use of tobacco in Muskegon County and ultimately create a healthier place for all. As a community coalition, this group of dedicated individuals works to achieve four main goals:
- Educate the public on the dangers of smoking.
- Help people understand the benefits of quitting.
- Advocate for policies to create a healthier community and smoke-free environments in Muskegon County.
- Promote a smoke-free generation for youth.
Smoking harms more than just the person holding the cigarette. We work with businesses, public officials, and the general public to create healthy, smoke-free public spaces in our community. Quitting tobacco can be incredibly challenging. The KnowSmoke Coalition provides information about treatment and cessation programs and other resources to Muskegon County residents so they can kick the habit for good.
Want to Quit Smoking?
Click here to contact us, or call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669)
The Impact of Muskegon County’s Smoking Rates:
- We ranked 81 out of 82 for health behaviors for the University of Wisconsin Community Health Rankings, 2016.
- 7.5% of high school students reported smoking a whole cigarette in the past 30 days. (Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth, 2015).
- 17.9% of high school students had never smoked a whole cigarette, 6.8% had done so before age 13. (Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth, 2015).
- 21% of the state smokes, only 20% of Muskegon County (University of Wisconsin Community Health Rankings, 2016)
KnowSmoke Coalition Members
- Health Project
- HCCC – Muskegon Youth Advisory Committee
- McClees Clinic
- GE Aviation
- Muskegon Family Care
- 1 in 21 Healthy Muskegon County
- Tobacco Free Michigan
- Muskegon Area Intermediate School District (MAISD)
- Access Health